Allergic Reactions to Piercings

While allergic reactions to piercings are generally uncommon, they can occur for some unlucky people.  

Allergy Information

Good piercers will ask about any allergies you may have before they commence any procedure but there may be some that you are simply unaware of. Making sure to only use the most sanitary piercing facilities that exclusively use disposable needles is one of a person's greatest safeguards against getting contaminated by an infection. But avoiding skin allergy problems is another story. Allergies are extremely common in both women and men and can occur from allergic sensitivity in any part of the body or face. Allergic reactions to piercings have been on the rise as more and more people become pierced.

The first physical symptoms of allergic reactions to piercings are itching, burning, redness and swelling of the skin. Certain metals are known to have a worse effect on a susceptible person's immune system than others. For instance, nickel causes many allergies and it can be found in several items of body jewellery. One of the things an affected sufferer can do for their allergic reactions to piercings is to see a dermatologist or general physician.

The doctor will usually prescribe medicated, topical creams to treat these allergic reactions to piercings. A way to avoid such reactions, or at least their severity, is to instruct the piercer to only insert certain metals into the specific pierced body part. Less allergic metals include stainless steel, titanium, niobium and 14 and 18 carat gold. There have been incidents of allergic reactions to piercings even when using such material as copper, platinum, bronze and small ivory studs.

Even for those people who know they'll have allergic reactions to piercings, they'll often still want to go ahead with the procedure. There are many reasons to enjoy piercings; some delight in how they look while others like the way they feel going through a body part, and many people love the sensual quality it evokes in them. Allergic reactions to piercings occur all over the world, since piercings are an international phenomenon.

It is likely that allergic reactions to piercings have been happening for centuries. Piercing is not a new indulgence or art; primitive people have pierced and they still do to this day.  The fact is that allergies cannot be removed or ignored, they will always exist.  And no matter how much you want a piercing, it is not worth putting your life at risk if such a procedure will trigger a severe allergic reaction.  Despite this advice, many people who know they will have allergic reactions to piercings go ahead anyway.

Article Disclaimer: For more information, please view our article guides terms and conditions page.
Average Customer Rating
based on 10963 reviews
See all reviews below:
« prev next »