HOW TO DYE: A Step By Step Guide
Watch the official 'How To' video on how to dye your hair with Manic Panic!
Watch the official 'How To Dye Your Hair' video from Manic Panic and discover how to get the look that Trish and Snooky have been rocking since '77!
Manic Panic semi-permanent hair colours contain no animal by-products and many are certified as being Vegan. To achieve the shade closest to what you see in the tub, we recommend pre-lightening your hair if your natural colour is brown, black or red. Natural blondes will have truer colour results, due to the lighter 'base' colour. If you're dark haired and don't want to bleach your hair, we advise you to opt for darker, more pigmented colours, such as red, purple or green to achieve a richer, darker colour.
You should always perform a strand test a few days prior to dyeing your hair in order to establish development times and see what the end colour looks like on your hair.
Manic Panic Hair Colour Is Tested On Celebrities, Not Animals!
"But aren't dyes damaging?" We hear you cry! Manic Panic has a gentle formulation, acting as a conditioner to hydrate and 'fill' your hair, giving you maximum colour with minimal damage and fuss.
You should always follow the instructional guidelines as stated on the Manic Panic packaging. Do not add peroxide or other permanent hair colours to your dye.
Manic Panic dyes may cause temporary staining to your skin and could permanently stain fabrics (Towels, Bedding, Clothing etc.), so we recommend using old equipment during the dyeing process.
Do not use alkaline based hair products on dyed hair, as they can affect the pH balance needed to obtain maximum colour absorption and retention. Products with zero alcohol containing ingredients or with a slightly acidic pH will help to keep your colour fresher for longer.
· Manic Panic is not suitable for use on eyebrows or eyelashes. If contact with the eyes occurs, rinse the affected area and seek medical attention.
· For the best and brightest results, use on pre-lightened hair. Results may vary when Manic Panic hair colourant is applied to darker, untreated hair.
· The resulting colour will vary depending upon the porosity, texture of your hair, your base colour and the length of time you allow the colour to develop.
· This product is not for internal use or ingestion. Keep the dye out of the reach of small children.
THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU DYE:1. THE PATCH TEST:
- Choose a small area of skin roughly the size of a penny for the test, preferably somewhere discreet such as behind the ear or in the inner fold of your elbow.
- Wash the test area with water and soap, then dab dry with a clean towel.
- Place a thin coating of your chosen Manic Panic Hair Dye upon the test area.
- Allow the dye to dry and leave it undisturbed and uncovered for 24 hours
- Examine the test area for any signs of irritation. If there is a negative reaction, then the product should not be used by that person under any circumstances.
- Perform a quick stand test to ensure you get the desired resultant colour. Apply a small amount of colour to a discreet section of hair (Such as an 'under section' from the back of your head) before applying the colour all over.
- So that your hair colour turns out as bright as it appears in the jar or on the colour swatch, it’ll be necessary to pre-lighten your hair. If you’re going for light or pastel shades, this is essential! We recommend using Manic Panic Flashlightning Complete Bleach Kit. Simply follow the instructions on the packaging and make sure to wash and rinse out all bleach residue with shampoo, as this can prevent hair dye from processing correctly!
- Ensure your hair is squeaky clean before using Manic Panic Hair Colour by washing with a deep cleansing shampoo. Do not use conditioner, as these will prevent the dye form taking to the hair and nobody wants a patchy dye job! Make sure your hair is thoroughly dried too, as damp hair will not absorb colour as effectively.
- Make sure you wear protective gloves when you're applying any form of hair colourant, including lightener. This enables you to protect your skin and helps to avoid staining your hands. For a clean and neat finish, apply baby lotion or petroleum jelly around your hairline and over your ears. This will help to avoid any errant drops of colour from staining your face!
- Pre-packaged hot oil treatments may be used to speed up hair colour removal. Follow instructions on the packaging when using and apply shampoo without water. Add water gradually, washing and rinsing until all the oil is removed.
- When using non Manic Panic lightening and colour removal products, consult the manufacturers for guidance on use, or contact a professional hair stylist.
For more information about using Manic Panic products, please visit our How To, FAQs and our Hair Colour In Action section.