- Balayage: Light tips and natural highlights. This can also be created in reverse using darker tips.
- Ombre: Light tips to the hair. A reverse ombre uses darker tips graduating into lighter roots.
- Highlights: Adding lighter tones to the hair.
- Dip Dye: Dyeing only the ends of your hair.
- Two Tone: Dyeing your hair in two contrasting colours.
- Peek-a-boo: Dyeing the underlayers of your hair.
- Rainbow: Dyeing your hair multiple colours.
Hair Dye Styles
There are many different hair dye styles you can try at home or at a salon. If you are looking for guides on how to dye your hair at home then we have plenty of tips and tricks to help you get the perfect dye job yourself. If you are planning to dye your hair at home make sure to read the instructions on your hair dye and always perform and patch test. Find out more about how to dye your hair at home with our guides.
What are the different types of hair colouring techniques?
Some of the most popular hair colouring techniques are:
Some of these hair colour technique names are self-explanatory but for some styles, you need to look deeper into the origin of the word to understand their meaning. For example, Ombre comes for the word shaded in French and Balayage means to sweep in French. Find out more about these different types of technique in our 'How To' guides.
These are some of the most common types of hair dye styles but that doesn't mean you can't get creative and try out something unusual. Once you have the basic knowledge of how to dye hair, your imagination is the limit!
What hair colour is trending? What hair colour is in style right now?
While the trends are always changing there are some hair colours that have been trending for quite some time and are set to stay. Some of the most popular shades include dark red, ash blonde, and caramel. These hair colour techniques often involve highlighting hair in a natural and subtle way to add dimension to the look of dyed hair. The blending of tones is definitely in style right now.
How many types of hair colour are there?
Generally, natural hair colour can be categorised into black, brown, blonde, grey, white, and red with many different shades within these types. These types of hair colour names can help you to find the perfect shade for you, for example, ash blonde and caramel brown. With hair dye, you can enjoy many more types of hair colour including silver, blue, pink, purple, orange, green, and yellow.
Dyeing your hair at home may not be as difficult as you think but make sure to consider types of natural hair colour before you begin. For example, if you have a darker natural hair colour, you may need to bleach your hair in order to achieve your new colour, especially if you have chosen a light or pastel tone.
What are the different highlighting techniques?
There are a few different types of highlighting techniques. One of the most recent is the balayage style which involves hand painting highlights in order to give a natural look to the hair. In contrast, classic highlights or lowlights are usually achieved using foils. There are many other styles of highlighting to give yourself a different hairstyle such as ombre and peek-a-boo.
Balayage hair colour placement techniques are offered by salons at a higher price because it requires more time and skill to complete. You can create your own highlights at home with our helpful guides. Find out more about the different balayage techniques, here.
Many hair dye types focus on how to dye long hair but there are plenty of ways to customise your short hair too. Here are just a few examples of hair dye styles for short hair that you could try out at home:
- Dip Dye: Even with short hair you can enjoy a dip dye style that gives you adorable coloured tips. You will need a steady hand to complete this hair dye style but the results are super cute.
- Peek-a-boo: This fun style works wonderfully with a bob haircut. Simply add some colour to the underlayers of your hair and as your hair moves you will get a glimpse of colour.
- Two Tone: Whether you want to spilt your hair vertically or horizontally, you can enjoy trying out two hair dye colours at once with this funky style.
- Highlights: Any hair can be highlighted and you can even create a balayage or ombre look using highlights. Keeping your roots dark and tips lights is definitely a big trend right now.
One of the most popular hair dye styles for guys is to colour the top of the hair. The current trending hairstyle is to keep the hair on top of the head longer which gives you the perfect opportunity to try adding some colour. There are other hair dye styles men that you can try if you have shorter hair and coloured hair sprays can be a fun way to temporarily change your hairstyle.
As you can see there are many different types of hair colouring techniques to choose from. With practise and patience, you can achieve many of these styles at home. If you are new to dyeing your hair why not start with a straightforward dip dye and once you are ready for more advanced styles you could try a balayage.
Please Note: Blue Banana hair dye information should be read alongside professional advice. Blue Banana makes no guarantee of validity and additional instruction should be taken from trained persons.