How to Create the Perfect Alternative Prom Look
Can you guys believe it’s June already? The end of the school year is fast approaching and that means exams, deadlines and the dreaded SCHOOL PROM! *SCREAM*! Fear not, we’ve created a super helpful alternative prom guide to having a stress free, fun time at your prom!
PROM: WHY BOTHER?
Prom isn’t traditionally something that us guys and girls get overly excited about, is it? I mean, who wants to lose all vestiges of their personal style to be trussed up like a turkey for a night out with a bunch of people you’ve probably spent most of your school life trying to avoid?
You’re also probably wondering why you should even bother going to prom, right? It’s a night of dodgy music, irritating people and fancy outfits, topped off with teachers supervising the event. Not exactly a killer night out.
Whilst this may be true, why not think of prom as a reward? After all, you’ve slogged your guts out over exam season, don’t you deserve to let off a little steam with your classmates?
- If you’re worried about going to prom without a date, why not arrange to go with friends? We guarantee you won’t be the only person who hasn’t got a date.
- If you don’t want to go because you’re experiencing bullying or harassment, we urge you to speak to your parents and teachers as soon as possible. Sites such as ChildLine and BBC’s Advice pages provide plenty of advice.
- If you really don’t give a rat’s ass about prom and want to read about people who should’ve blown their prom off, then Hello Giggles and Buzzfeed will raise a smile!
So, whether you’re planning on attending your school or college prom or attending an ‘AntiProm’, one thing you can probably agree on is that traditional prom looks are boring! We know you guys take style risks, so we’re bringing you a selection of our favourite alternative prom styles that’ll keep your hard won style points intact!
PERFECT PLUS SIZE
Think Plus Size is a code word for frumpy? Think again! The days of basic black trousers, tent like tops and matronly dresses are long gone! Plus Size fashion has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, with most major retailers either expanding their ranges or stocking dedicated high fashion Plus Size lines.
If you’re looking for something a little more unusual and the ‘average’ high street retailer doesn’t float your boat, you’ll be pleased to know that we offer a wide range of modern, stunningly designed dresses that’ll enhance those gorgeous curves and make you feel like the belle of the ball!
So, before you hit the shops or head online, keep these tips in mind:
- Stay true to your personal style, NEVER buy a dress ‘just because it fits’!
- Show off your favourite feature! You’re guaranteed to feel great in something that accentuates your assets. You’re also much more likely to wear the dress again.
- If you want to wear tights or a cardigan to feel more comfortable and confident, go for it! There are no ‘fashion rules’ about what is or isn’t considered prom attire.
Does the thought of abandoning your black lipstick and stompin’ boots for a night fill you with dread? Yup? So don’t do it! Embrace what makes you different and create a unique prom look that incorporates all of your favourite things! We stock Gothic style dresses for all shapes, styles and budgets, perfect for Goth gals doing prom on a shoestring!
- Don’t forget to accessorise! Even a simple waist belt or pendant necklace can transform an outfit, so experiment!
- Don’t be afraid of colour. Not all Gothic looks are black, so add a splash of colour such as red, purple or dark green with vibrant lipstick, statement shoes or even bright trims on clothing.
- If you’re planning on wearing a corset, you’ll need to do some practice runs before the big night. Wear them around the house for a few hours at a time and learn how to get yourself in and out of it. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube that will provide all the help and advice you need.
Retro style prom dresses never go out of style, and for good reason! As a part of one of our best selling ranges, we’ve got hundreds of retro and vintage inspired dresses to choose from! These figure flattering little beauties suit ladies of all shapes and sizes and come in a multitude of cuts, lengths and fabrics, allowing you to create your perfect alternative prom look.
Whether you decide to team your dress with complimentary vintage inspired hair and makeup for authenticity or keep it simple with a sleek ponytail and minimal makeup to let your dress do the talking, you’re guaranteed to stand out!
Want some tips on how to style your retro dress? Don’t want to look like you’re in fancy dress? Try these tips for size:
- Pair a cardigan and cute sandals or ballerina flats for a comfortable yet chic feel.
- Pop a petticoat underneath for a frothy, voluminous look.
- Add a touch of biker chic by pairing your girly dress with a leather moto jacket, perfect for encapsulating that 50’s bad girl vibe!
Don’t want to have achey feet at the end of the night? Want to be prepared for any dress emergencies? The check out these awesome links and be the most prepared chick on the block!
- How to break in high heels
- What to pack in your handbag
- Alternative prom hair styles
- Prom make up inspiration
If you’re feeling creative and want to make your own prom dress or accessories, then you need to check out sites like Etsy, MookyChick or Pinterest. They’re a treasure trove of inspiration and tutorials, perfect for making a dress that’s as individual as you are!
Are you off to Prom this Summer? Share your look with us via Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #bluebananaukprom2015!