After a venom piercing has been done it has a short healing process, this can take from 2 weeks to 5. The tongue piercing usually causes swelling after it has been done, which is why piercers use longer jewellery afterwards. The swelling may cause pain when speaking and people are advised to drink cold beverages and suck on crushed ice to reduce the size of the tongue. There are also things that individuals are told not to do if possible after the piercing, which includes smoking, drinking alcohol, eating spicy food and using mouthwash with alcohol in it. After the swelling has gone, other irritations may occur, but with a lot of oral care and mouthwash the irritation should soon fade. After the venom piercing has fully healed, the individual needs to replace the barbell with a smaller bar; this is usually 2mm-4mm shorter than the original jewellery.
After the venom piercing has healed there are still possibilities of problems with the body modification. Many risks that occur with a tongue piercing include the following: